Sunday, July 25, 2010

Got Books contest winner!

http://gotbooksevent.blogspot.com

Congratulations to Ashley at Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing who has won my beautiful, brand-new from Amazon (with cool graphic novel-style cover) Penguin Classics edition of The Three Musketeers. I only wish I could afford to send a copy to all the 43 people who entered the contest! Fortunately, this is a book that's fairly easy to find at the library--I highly recommend reading it before next summer's new 3-D movie of this classic comes out. It would be a great book to read aloud with your kids, although it would take a while!  and although they're not as well-known, Dumas wrote four sequels to this classic (a long series from the pre-Harry Potter era).  If you're an e-book sort of person, you can also read it on-line or on your e-book reader for free, although not in this newest, very well-reviewed English translation, courtesy of Google Books.

I'm a big fan of the Michael York-Richard Chamberlain movie from 1973 but I'm always open to something new and am looking forward to seeing D'Artagnan and his musketeer buddies in all their 3-D swashbuckling splendor. According to Wikipedia, there have been 22 feature films made of this classic, starting with silent films, with the most recent English version being The Musketeer (2001), apparently a very loose adaptation, in a style imitating Asian action movies! I have to say I missed that one, although I've seen the 1993 Charlie Sheen/Disney film and the really old (1948) Gene Kelly/MGM version.  There have also been TV series, animated movies (including Tom & Jerry), a Russian musical (!) and more! Check out the link below for up-to-date information on the upcoming film. 

Thanks so much to everyone who entered my contest.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Luvdaylilies said...

Congratulations Ashley!